For boaters and watersports enthusiasts who want to run with the best, the rugged GPSMAP 78 features crisp colour mapping, high-sensitivity receiver, moulded rubber side grips, plus a microSD™ card slot for loading additional maps. And it floats!
GPSMAP 78 comes with a built-in worldwide basemap, so you can navigate anywhere with ease. It is IPX7 waterproof and even floats in water.
Keep Your Fix
With its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver and HotFix™ satellite prediction, GPSMAP 78 locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its GPS location even in heavy cover and deep canyons.
The advantage is clear whether you’re in deep woods or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on GPSMAP 78 to help you find your way when you need it the most.
Adding more maps is easy with Garmin's wide array of detailed marine, topographic and road maps, available on microSD card.
Conveniently plug in BlueChart® g2 preloaded cards for a great day on the water or City Navigator NT® map data for turn-by-turn routing on roads (see maps tab for compatible maps).
The card slot is located inside the waterproof battery compartment, so you don't have to worry about getting it wet. GPSMAP 78 also supports BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery (subscription required), that lets you download satellite images to your device and integrate them with your maps.
In addition, the 78 is compatible with Custom Maps, free software that transforms paper and electronic maps into downloadable maps for your device.
You've been busy exploring and now you want to store and analyze your activities.
With a simple connection to your computer and to the Internet, you can get a detailed analysis of your activities and send tracks to your outdoor device using Garmin Connect™.
This one-stop site offers an activity table and allows you to view your activities on a map using Google™ Earth.
Explore other routes uploaded by millions of Garmin Connect users and share your experiences on Twitter® and Facebook®. Getting started is easy, so get out there, explore, and share.
GPSMAP 78 supports geocaching GPX files for downloading geocaches and details straight to your unit. By going paperless, you're not only helping the environment but also improving efficiency.
GPSMAP 78 stores and displays key information, including location, terrain, difficulty, hints and descriptions, which means no more manually entering coordinates and paper print outs!
Simply upload the GPX file to your unit and start hunting for caches.
Slim and lightweight, 78 is the perfect companion for all your outdoor pursuits.
- High sensitive GPS with hotfix
- 1.7 GB internal memory, plus micro SD slot
- Worldwide basemap
- Floats if accidentally dropped overboard
- Up to 20 hours battery life, uses two AA batteries (not included)
- Electronic compass: no
- Touchscreen: no
- Barometric altimeter: no
- Camera: no
- Geocaching-friendly: yes (paperless)
- Custom maps compatible: yes
- Photo navigation (navigate to geotagged photos): yes
- Outdoor GPS games: no
- Hunt/fish calendar: yes
- Sun and moon information: yes
- Tide tables: yes
- Area calculation: yes
- Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): yes
- Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units): no
- Picture viewer: no
- Garmin Connect™ compatible (online community where you analyse, categorize and share data): yes
- Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): yes (with optional mapping for detailed roads)
Physical & Performance
- Unit dimensions: 66mm(W) x 152mm(H) x 30mm(D)
- Display size: 41mm(W) x 56mm(H) diag 66mm
- Display resolution: 160 x 240 pixels
- Display type: transflective, 65-K colour TFT
- Weight: (218.3 g) with batteries
- Battery: 2 AA batteries (not included); NiMH or Lithium recommended
- Battery life: 20 hours
- Waterproof: yes (IPX7)
- Floats: yes
- High-sensitivity receiver: yes
- Interface: USB and NMEA 0183 compatible
Maps & Memory
- Basemap: yes
- Ability to add maps: yes
- Built-in memory: 1.7 GB
- Accepts data cards: microSD™ card (not included)
- Waypoints/favourites/locations: 2000
- Routes: 200
- Track log: 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks
What's in the Box
- GPSMAP 78
- Wrist strap
- USB cable
- Quick start manual
- Sup. No. 010-10085-00